Monday, March 12, 2007

I started a MySpace


I have the next few days off and was talking with a buddy of mine from college. He is doing work in finance in New York City and having a good time. He has no idea that I am gay or anything. I told him that I had met someone while living out in California and he asked me about "her" so I described Joe as best I could without using his name. Said "she" was hot, great in bed and was very oral. He got a kick out of it, then he asked a name... Kristen was the first name that popped up in my head.

My buddy asked me if I had a myspace page because it would be a lot easier to keep in touch and there are so many hot girls on it, yadda yadda. So I gave in and made a page for my straight friends to see. I decided last night, while playing poker with a bucnh of guys I know at Spring Training that I would make a page for myself just for blog readers.

myspace.com/slugger0082

So, for those of you who have myspace, friend me and you can check me out.

I also started a Yahoo Group for Gay Athletes.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gay_athletes

This is a group for the gay athletes to come together and talk about life and share stories about growing up and get advice on how to deal with teammates, locker rooms, and friends. It's for athletes on all levels… high school, college, and professional. I would prefer that the Yahoo group only be athletes and not men interested in athletes. Obviously, I have no way of telling who is who they say they are. What I ask is guys e-mail me a little about themselves and their experiences before they are members.

I am working on a post about what has been going on with me at Spring Training and I will post it at some point today. I am bumming around a hotel right now.

12 comments:

JP Mac said...

it's about time you joined myspace

dan said...

nice post, ya never know about joe, give it time, very cool how you met.
enjoy the days off. later.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're a good reason to join myspace. To bad I'm with the Facebook crowd; you're almost reason enought to get both.
I understand what you're going through with your friend. I'm lucky enought to have an awseome guy myself,and it's tough because none of my friends from back home (I'm a senior in college) know I'm gay and so I usually try and avoid the subject of my boyfriend, even though I want to tell them all about him. It's a tough position to be in. I tell myself the majority of my home friends won't care, but I'd rather not tell them over the phone/email/aim. In anycase, we your readers understand and appreciate this blog.
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

the comment above is from Matthew (I hit a button by accident)

Jason said...

Oh no, not myspace!

Interesting group. I may join. I'm not too sure about this whole blog thing.

Anonymous said...

At some point, you all need to come out. Staying in the closet just reinforces the idea that you have something to be ashamed of.

And if your buds are gonna reject you? Well, they already have if they are forcing you to live a lie.

Lastly, you might find your buds are a lot more accepting than you think they are.

John said...

'Jo' can be a girl's name too. You could have saved yourself a bit of thinking there.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

It's really a shame you can't come out. We need all the visibility we can get. I am not criticizing you -- I know you've chosen a profession that seems to require being closeted (as far as we know since it's not ever really been tested by a currently playing athlete of any stature), but I do hope people realize that this hiding and lying ultimately serves none of us well: not yourselves (unless you like ulcers and constant stress) and not the community to which you belong. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

This is a very poignant blog. Great work. But I'm going to go out on a lurch here and agree with Mike. You are doing an enormous disservice hiding your sexuality and then going to the lengths you do to lie about it. While I don't walk in your shoes, you seem to have consciously chosen your path but made BIG sacrifices along the way. We've long passed the point were we as a community can condone the closet. It is not healthy nor safe. But again you have to stare yourself in the mirror every morning. But I speak from personal experience when I say the longer you hold it in the more you risk the ire of your peers.

That aside, you have a gem of a blog and I'm sorry I didn't discover it sooner.

Victor
www.menofcolor.blogs.com

Drew said...

http://outsports.com/local/2007/0124anthonytribute.htm

I dunno if you read this or not.

Unknown said...

I'm sure you must have heard of Billy Bean, and he came out and the better for it...he is very happy. baseball, like beauty ( male or female ) does not last forever..there will come a time when your either injured or traded to a lesser club, and your ability as a ballplayer has waned. BTW, if you remain in the closet while in the public eye, once you decide to quit baseball, would you come out then?

Unknown said...

Man, for a person that wants to remain in the closet, you are sure opening many venues...facebook, myspace, blog and aim and who knows what else, for you to slip up and be outed anyway.